Friday, June 24, 2011

Fitness is Fun - Girl Style



Thursday afternoons usually include me gasping for some much-needed end-of-the-week energy to push through to what will undoubtedly be a packed weekend. However, Thursday afternoons in May and June included a slew of elementary school girls bursting with more energy than you can imagine... unless you've hosted a slumber party for a sweet posse of fourth grade female child-monkeys.


These lovely ladies were participating in Fitness is Fun, known nationally as Girls on the Run, at their elementary school in my hometown Chester with the daring and darling Anne Lamb as their fearless leader. I would see the ladies walking, running, and sometimes eating popsicles on Tuesday afternoons as they circled town, gearing up for a race later in June, I met up with them in the elementary school gymnasium on Thursdays to dance, dance, dance. We worked hard in a cardio-heavy dance class and spent a good chunk of time building a dance, included in this post. The girls choreographed practically the whole dance in six classes, working together to create fun, partner-inspired movement that I believe highlights their love of each other, moving, and joy. I was able to party with my local girls and feel blessed that such awesome future babysitters are right around the corner...

No comments: